Wishing for smaller breasts...

By Lise

Let me first introduce myself. My name is Lise, I'm 23 years old and live in Denmark. I'm 5'3 feet tall, and of average build. 6 months ago I was using a size 32G in bra...

Model photo

“To me it was a taboo. why wish for smaller breasts, when so many women pay hundreds of pounds to have theirs enlarged? I felt very alone, and very insecure.”

I'd always had large breasts - for as long as I can remember, in fact. As the years went on, the problems increased. I had constant aching in the neck and shoulders. I had trouble sleeping and lying on my stomach. Also, I had deep furrows in my shoulders from the bra-straps, and sports caused me great problems whenever it involved jumping or running. It was painful.

My self confidence was low, too. My bosom was heavy and saggy. I dreaded the shower situations in the public swimming pool and the beach trips in bikini, and I didn't care for people glaring at my breasts. I had a lot of problems shopping for underwear. Even at age 17, I would have to wear "granny-underwear" and large bra's with wide straps. The cute lace underwear that my friends would buy just wouldn't fit me.

In the beginning it wasn't something I would mention to anyone. I used to think that I was the only one with this problem and these thoughts. To me, it was a taboo. Why wish for smaller breasts when so many women pay hundreds of pounds to have theirs enlarged? I felt alone and very insecure.

I finally took the courage to speak to my closest friends. I told them about my thoughts and considerations about having a breast reduction. But the reactions from them weren't positive. They thought it was silly. They told me I was fine the way I was, and that I should at least wait with surgery until after having had children.

At that time I was 23. I had no plans of having children any time soon, and the thought of having to wait 10-15 years was unbearable.

I had already made my choice. I was willing to go as far as paying the almost 4.000 £, which was the price of the operation, in case I was rejected a free treatment by the public health insurance.

I decided to see my GP. He was very understanding. He wrote me a referral, and told me that I should count on having a preliminary examination about 3 weeks later.

In my county, the hospital that dealt with breast reduction surgery had a 1½ year waiting time on preliminary examinations, and the same for the actual surgery. This enabled me to use the Danish Patient Choice rules and choose for myself, where I wanted the preliminary examination, and later on the surgery itself.

I contacted Mølholm Private hospital in the Danish town of Vejle. I made an appointment and had a preliminary examination 14 days later. On my way to my examination I was nervous, but also very excited as to what was going to happen. I knew that I would have to show myself in front of a surgeon, I had never met before, and that this itself would take a lot of courage. I wasn't completely aware of, what I was getting myself into, and what was going to happen. It made me very nervous.

Before-photo taken on the day of surgery.
2 days after the surgery.
11 weeks after the surgery. Here, the scar is visible underneath the breast. It's still red. The scar is not entirely in the fold, but approximately ½ inch above it.

During the preliminary examination, I was given a detailed explanation of risks and side effects, along with a description of the different operating procedures. The doctor also asked me, what breast size I had in mind, after which I told him, that I wanted a c-cup. He told me, that he would then need to remove 300-400 milligrams from each breast, and that they would be given a 2.5 inch lift. After the examination, I was offered a free operation, paid for by the national health insurance. I was so happy and relieved. Finally, I could relax. There was something to look forward to. Mølholm offered to operate me only 14 days later, but due to exams and an already booked summer holiday, I changed the date to the 3rd of August 2004.

In the weeks before the operation, I had all these questions, that I didn't get around to asking during the examination. The questions regarded everything from what I would be able to do after the surgery, when I would be able to do sports again, to what the result would look like. I felt that I was well informed at the examination, but at the time I didn't have that many questions. They came afterwards.

It was the third of August 2004. I was to be admitted at 9:00 AM. On the day of the surgery, I was so nervous. I was most of all nervous about the anaesthesia, seeing as I had never been fully sedated before. Luckily, the reception at Mølholm was warm, and I really felt that I was in safe hands. I was given a thorough explanation of what was about to happen, all whilst the plastic surgeon, Erik Løntoft, drew on by breasts with a marker.

The surgery was to take place at 11:40 AM. The hours prior to the surgery were long, and I found it difficult to calm down. At the same time, I was ecstatic and excited on the inside. This was it, my dream was about to come true, and I would be able to do all the things that I had previously been unable to do because of my large bosom.

I walked down to the operating theatre myself. The situation seemed very surreal, and the whole experience is still very blurry to me to this day. I don't remember much.

2½ hours later, I woke up in the bed at the ward. My glance went straight to my chest, which I could see was clearly smaller. I could have screamed from pure excitement - it was over with, and I felt fantastic!

A respectable amount of 325 and 335 milligrams were removed from my breasts. I felt surprisingly well afterwards, but there was a little pain, for which reason I had 2 morphine doses that were injected into my hand through a drip. The rest of the day went ok. It was a bit difficult to sit up in the bed, and I hardly had any appetite, due to nausea from the anaesthesia. I was discharged at 10:00 AM the following day. I had my bandages removed, and was given a sports bra to wear. The following pains were few and slight. The aching, however, was tough.

I would definitely go through the whole thing again, if I had to. I don't think it was as bad, as I had thought it would be. I'll never forget the experience of seeing my new breasts for the first time. They were so beautiful. Swollen, but beautiful!